Saturday, January 20, 2007

Wrestling - January 20, 2007

I used to get upset at all the bloody noses. However, it is winter in Colorado and the air is dry and people get nosebleeds a lot more easily than when the air is more humid. The little guy on top is a freshman who has already made the varsity team. The little guy not on top is about to be pinned.
Another wrestler about to pin his opponent.
It's called a headlock for fairly obvious reasons. The young man in yellow came in 2nd in his weight class out of 14 teams.
The freshman wrestler again with his opponent all locked up. He got another pin here and came in 3rd in his weight class.

They say wrestling is the toughest 6 minutes in any sports competition. I have never actually participated, but I have watched more high school and middle school wrestling matches than I can count. Both my sons were varsity wrestlers in high school, and both competed with their hearts and souls. Wrestling is one of the only sports I have witnessed where two people can compete with every ounce of their beings on the mat and once the match is over, shake hands and discuss the match like they are best friends. Wrestling is allegedly a team sport, but in each match there is a winner and a loser and each competitor has only himself (and in a few rare cases, herself) to blame if he loses. I have seen so many kids exhibit tremendous courage - get backed into a corner and find some way to come out on top. If they don't, I have seen them be equally courageous in accepting responsibility and working harder and coming out the winner the next time. I think the lessons my own sons have learned from wrestling have helped them overcome adversities and to know they can count on themselves to do what they need to do to accomplish whatever they want. I attended a tournament today to take pictures for our local paper. It was strange to go and to not have one of my sons competing, but it was great to see the kids and see how they've grown up this past year. They are nice, polite, kind young men when off the mat; and when they are competing..... well, as their mascot name implies, they are Tigers!

7 comments:

talj said...

Great images! Wrestling is just something I will never understand the point of!! It's not exactly flattering, they seem to get thrown into allsorts of 'odd' positions but am sure they have fun! :o)

Chele said...

I agree, those are great pictures! I knew nothing about wrestling until the fall of 2005, when my husband started coaching our local middle school team. Out of all the sports our youth have to choose from I believe wrestling teaches them more about life than any other. The outcome of the match truly depends on which kid has worked harder, has more heart and which one doesn't quit or give up when things get hard. If you lose there is only one person to blame - yourself. Thanks for a great article!

thelobster said...

Wow - I bet you're sick of the snow. I really like your wrestling pictures - I took some at a semim pro ntrainiung session and it was great fun - your pictures really show the physical exertion

Elizabeth Abbott said...

Great actions shots! I love the first one where the guy's face is smooshed :-) Really shows the effort these atheletes put into their sport.

Unknown said...

My sons were training judo, but after short time they switched to the football. I don't think they will ever become the sportsmen.

Karen said...

Cool shots!!

admin said...

great action shots there!