Sunday, January 14, 2007

Basketball - January 14, 2007

Opponents talking smack.

Well, I could say the action was just so fast that it couldn't be captured, but that would be wrong. Stupid polarizer filter..... no stupid photographer :(


I do some freelance photography for the local newspaper. Usually I'm called when the regular photographer can't make it to one of the high school sports events, or if there are so many events going on at one time, that they don't have enough staff to cover. It helps me to step out of my comfort zone and hopefully help the kids out a little too. These are from the game last night. I'm so embarrassed. I was having a lot of trouble with the speed. I had my ISO set at 1600, and my aperature down to 3.5 and I was still having trouble with the light. Today I figured out why. Of all the stupid things to do, I left my polarizer filter on from the snow pictures. I think I got enough decent ones for the paper to use, but I should have had more. I should have figured it out last night. I decided to play around some of the ones I didn't use and see how they turned out. So these are my experiments.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooo,what a pity. But at least some of them are ok. I believe even the best photographers do make this kind of mistakes sometimes.

talj said...

Am glad to see some of your images are ok! It's one of those things, and it doesnt help this time but....you'll remember to check next time! :o)

Blueline said...

Actually I thought the shot with the motion blur was the best shot out of the bunch. I know most of the time that sports need to be tack sharp; however, it looks like you intentionally blurred the action and therefore makes the photo interesting.

thelobster said...

I like the motion blur too - and the expression in the top one - and i really enjoy reading your blog.