Sunday, January 07, 2007

A Grueling Day - January 6, 2007



It has been a day of tears. Their Christmas vacations are over. My oldest daughter and youngest son left this morning to go back to work and to school. Saying goodbye is always very hard for me, but especially so today because I know it will be several months before I see either of them again.

And then there is the weather. It snowed all day yesterday. According to the forecasts, it wasn't supposed to amount to much, but it dropped 4-5 inches of new snow, the temperature dropped to 5 degrees (F) and the roads around here are snowpacked and very icy. This is the first time my son has ever driven with a trailer. I know he's a good driver and I have all the confidence in the world in him, but I also know how rough it can be on icy roads. And so I worry.

They called from Penrose, a few miles from here (I'm so thankful for cell phones) and reported that the roads were clear. What a relief! However they called again from south of Pueblo and asked if I'd heard any reports, because the traffic on the interstate was stopped solid. We called and found out that there had been multiple traffic accidents ahead of them and cars were being let through one or two at a time. They have been held up at this point for over an hour and a half. I was very worried. Multiple accidents occur when people are driving too fast for conditions and it tells me the roads ahead are not good. And if the winds pick up, it will cause blizzard-like, white-out conditions. They still have to go over Raton Pass, and it is always better to go over the pass in the daylight. And daylight will be gone all too quickly.

My daughter calls to say they are moving again, but slowly. They have passed one of the accidents - semi trailer truck is rolled over. They pass a second one while we are talking - a car extremely crunched. My daughter says a news crew is there taking pictures. She suddenly does a little "ulp" and I say "what was that". She says "it's nothing", but I know they hit an icy spot and slid a little. I am glad they are past Walsenburg, but they still have a long way to go before they get to the Pass.

My daughter calls again. It is slow going. They are not yet to Trinidad, the wind is blowing, and it is starting to get dark. And they are getting tired. I have her talk to her Dad while I get on the computer and check the status of the roads. There is a high wind advisory for both Walsenburg and Trinidad. And they have closed the road from Walsenburg to Colorado City because of blowing snow and deteriorating road conditions. And the temperature is falling fast. I want them to stop wherever they can find shelter and wait it out. Who am I kidding, I want them to be here - safe in their beds and not out "there". Not in danger. Not my kids.

My son calls and talks to his Dad. They have stopped at a rest stop. He reports the roads are much better and the wind has died down. My daughter gets back on the phone and tells me that they can see the road again. It's not covered over with snow and ice and they're not just following tail-lights. They are going to try the Pass. I pray.

They call. They are over the Pass. They say the roads look clear on the New Mexico side. Of course I warn about black ice. And of course, they say "yes, Mom". I check the road reports for New Mexico for them. It looks like there will be few problems until they get to Santa Fe, but the storm has tracked south ahead of them. I don't see any reports of blowing snow along their route. They still have over 3 hours to go. As I'm backing out of the road reports, I see the update on the Colorado Roads. They have closed I-25 all the way from Colorado City to the state line, so they must have closed it right behind them.

After three and a half hours, I call them. They are close and the roads are o.k., but there is some blowing snow and they are going slow.

They have just called to say that they are at my daughter's house and safe. They are going to unload her stuff and go to bed. Tomorrow my son has to travel to Phoenix by himself. That is
usually an 8 to 9 hour drive and is usually the longest stint of the journey. The drive to Albuquerque is usually 5 1/2 to 6 hours, but today took nearly 12.

I will be happy when I hear he's safely back to school.

4 comments:

thelobster said...

Wishing all your family all the best, safe journeys and happy arrivals

Elizabeth Abbott said...

my goodness, that weather sounds terrible!! but it also sounds like your son and daughter have excellent heads on their shoulders :-) Wish you all the best and that you will see each other again soon.

Unknown said...

I fully understand you. Having kids is a blessing but is also something to think about for the rest of our days. I'm happy your kids are safe and I'm sure your son will reach his final destination safely too.

talj said...

I hope that all your family gets safely to the places they need to be. Blessings to you and all those around you xx