Saturday, January 27, 2007

And Then There Was South - January 27, 2007


It snowed off and on all day today. I covered my last game for the week this afternoon, which was the 5th event covered this week. The team was pumped up after back to back wins; however, South is ranked 3rd in the state and they pretty much steam-rollered the local team. There is a long-standing rivalry between the local high school and South in most every sport played at this level. Once it became apparent the local team was so far behind there was little chance to catch up, the coach rotated in his younger players. I thought that was a good move. It gave the older players a chance to rest and revitalize and gave the younger players excellent experience on the boards against a top-notch opponent. They will learn to be better players by playing against superior teams. The younger team members played with heart and inspiration. They took their opportunity and ran with it. They didn't win (according to the scoreboard); however, they never quit. They played as hard as they could until the final whistle blew. I think that showed a lot of character.

This picture (I hope) shows the intensity of their play.

3 comments:

talj said...

What an expression on the guys face!!! Really looks like he wants to win! :o)

Zippy said...

Nice capture of the action. The last time I tried basketball in a gym, it was so dark that I didn't get very good results. I found it tough lighting to get action shots. You did a good job!

Unknown said...

This boys are fighting for real! Great capture:)