Monday, January 01, 2007

Working on Shelves - January 1, 2007


My husband is working on a beautiful set of shadowbox shelves he built for our oldest daughter as part of her Christmas present. She's been asking for shelves for a couple of years, but really had no way to get them from our house to her home in New Mexico. This year, however, my son is taking her home and is renting a trailer to haul some of his furniture to his new apartment in Arizona. It's all working out really well although our house will seem even emptier than usual when they leave. I've had a hard time adjusting to my son being gone and now that his furniture will be gone too, it will be even more difficult. I'll need to re-furnish his room for when he comes home again. It won't be the same, but nothing is really the same now anyway.

Woodworking is a hobby for my husband and he is really good at it (as he is with virtually everything he does). He also loves photography and is my partner and competition in that endeavor. (Right now his Free Study entry for DPChallenge is blowing mine out of the water.) :)

8 comments:

talj said...

Great image and lovely 'story' to go with it! I hope your daughter gets to take the shelves home with her very soon! :o)

Laurie L. Black said...

Hugs from Texas...and don't worry too much about your empty nest. Now is your chance to stretch your wings! ;)

God bless in 2007!

Alain said...

Hello, Is it your first pic for your PAD project? Anyway, it's a very good picture with a great story. Memories to share.

All the best.

admin said...

Nice glimpse into a person's life :)

Elaine said...

Nice shot! My oldest left right after high school to go work with his uncle and cousins in Minnesota "for the summer", and has been there ever since. I do still have 2 at home, both in high school, so the nest is not empty, but it's not the same.

Zippy said...

I really like the lighting in this shot.

Good luck with your PAD.

tooohip said...

Handy man to the rescueeeeeeeeeeeee........... ;-)

Unknown said...

I love your stories. My kids still have some time before they will leave the house, but my daughter is almost 17, so this time won't be too far. But there is a saying, that we are bringing our childer for the world not for ourselves.

It's great to have the same passion with your husband.