Monday, January 08, 2007

Snowy Walk - January 7, 2007


My husband and I took the dogs for a walk this afternoon to help keep us occupied while waiting for news from my son. We like to walk in an area very close to our home called "Oilwell Flats". I don't know the history of the name. There are no oilwells, and as you can see, the area is far from being flat. Bear likes to scout the area ahead while we walk and he takes off to one side and then the other, forging ahead and then running back to us. Chaco usually follows closely behind him. This is efficient for us old folks because they run 3 or 4 times as far as we walk and we all get good exercise.

Today, the road up to the top of the hill was closed because of the snow, so we walked. (Trudged in my case). The snow was drifted and deep in places and I am not in the best of shape - although that is certainly one of my New Year's resolutions - to lose weight and get into better shape. The dogs didn't mind at all. They love the snow and had a great time running around and plowing through even the deepest drifts.

Here Bear is popping through the trees on the slope above us, making sure we aren't hiding from him. He eventually snowplowed down the slope, with Chaco in hot pursuit.

We finally heard from the boy. He made it home just fine - said it is sunny and warm in Phoenix. He's unpacked and ready to turn in the trailer and start back to school tomorrow. It's probably just another adventure to him. I wonder if he realizes how very well he did to manage that trip through such adverse conditions.

I've always thought I believed that when raising children, it's best to give them roots and give them wings. It's what I've always tried to do. Giving them roots was easy. Allowing them to fly away and live their own lives - way more difficult than I ever believed. I guess I would (selfishly) much prefer they would, like Bear, range a little bit away and then come right back.

But I also know that wouldn't be the best thing for them. They have to do what they must, and go where they must to be able to realize their full potential.

6 comments:

L2 said...

You've done well with exposing to not lose the dog in shadows. I miss having snow this winter - here where I live it's been freakishly warm and all we've gotten so far is rain. :(

Unknown said...

I believe the same thing when it comes to rising children. Time will show, whether I will succeed.

Karen said...

Lovely photo

talj said...

Love shot....I wish we had snow over here! :o)

puzzled p said...

I agree with L2 about your exposure around your sweet dog. He's a gorgeous dog - looks like he's giving you a smile here.

Zippy said...

Nice shot of bear.