Wednesday, June 06, 2007

White Water - June 6, 2007


As the snowmelt continues in the mountains, the water levels rise in the Arkansas River - a favorite time of year for the adventure-seeking rafters around here. Rafting is regulated - the numbers of rafts on the river at any given time is controlled, and rafting is not allowed when the water levels reach a certain depth or cubic feet per inch of force. It's just too dangerous when the river runs too high or too fast. We've already lost one rafter this year in the very rough waters through the Royal Gorge. This is a close up of the one of the not-so-spectacular rapids. I will go back to this spot later in the season (or maybe this weekend) and see if I can catch some rafts going over the spot. My daughter used to be a rafting guide and I was always afraid something would happen to her. It's probably a good thing she didn't tell me about every "adventure".

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I most definitely would NOT want to hear about those adventures, either, lol! I'm not a water buff, unless of course it's in my bathtub.

admin said...

The Arkansas sure does not look like that here LOL